These Bread Stars are definitely worth making.
The recipe is easy to execute with ingredients everyone has in their kitchen.
It will add a great addition to a BBQ or any party (I will definitely make them for our 4th of July BBQ)
My Bread Star recipe makes 2 Stars, each of them is almost 1.5lb and feeds quite a few people.
This Bread Stars are delicious…. The thin layer that ends up on top whenever you’re done turning it inside out is the best part of it. It’s crunchy and the burned edges give it this very unique flavor you can’t get enough of. The inside of it is super soft and stays that way for a few days.
The rye flour I’ve used in this recipe is fresh, I grind my own with my WonderMill whenever needed.
920g Bread Flour
30g Rye Flour
15g Dry Yeast
620g Cold Water
- Dissolve the dry yeast with some of the cold water, while the yeast is dissolving go ahead and sift Bread and rye flour.
- Combine all ingredients (add the oil as the very last) and knead for at least 7-10 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with a little oil, shape the dough into a beautiful ball and place it in the bowl. Cover up and let it rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Split the dough in half and cut 1/3 off of each of those 2 pieces. You should have 2 large and 2 small pieces. Shape them into balls and let them rest for 10min
- Take the small ball and roll/ stretch it until you get it to approx. 10 inches across and set aside. Take a large ball and do the same thing, you will notice it’s much easier to stretch. Now you have a thin and a thick piece…
- Take the thin one and spread approx. 1 tsp. of oil in the center. The oiled area should not be bigger than 3-4 inches across. Spay water on the remaining area around the oiled center and place the thick piece of dough on top. Try to line up the edge for a cleaner look later on and press down lightly so the two layers stick well together.
- Punch the star in the center with one of my Large Star Bread Stamps 5 1/2″ across
You can use a knife or pizza cutter instead, it was a little messier and didn’t look the way I wanted. I made these Star Bread Stamps to make it an easier and cleaner solution to the mess.
- Turn the sharp points in the center inside out to create the Bread Star, score the loaf, cover up and let rest for 30min in a warm spot.
- Sprinkle some flour on the Bread Stars before baking, gives them a better look.
Preheat oven to 430F and bake the Bread Stars for 25min